Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Using the Fresh Water Flush for Winterization Purposes?

Discussion in 'General Maintenance & Repairs' started by Budman, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Budman

Budman New Member

Oct 3, 2019
    Seattle
    2004, 240
    Volvo 8.1
    None
    I have an VP 8.1 and ready to winterize. I've typically drained the block and manifolds (along with water pump) and then filled with anti-freeze. This creates a lot of water in bilge that needs to be taken out. Really difficult to access bilge in these 8.1's

instead of draining all, I'm wondering if I can use the Engine Flush tube (the one with the blue cap) to get anti-freeze into the block / manifolds, etc. Purchase one of those 5 gallon Camco Flush Kits and hook it up to the Volvo Flush tube (instead of using muffs). Run engine at idle and let the 5-6 gallons of anti-freeze circulate.

I know someone will ask "why not use muffs?", and hook up the Camco via the outdrive. I have seen feedback that muffs are hard to use on Volvo Penta, and you run a risk of damaging impeller / water pump, etc. Also, the boat is on a lift in front of the house. No trailer, so it's hard to access lower unit. Not impossible, but rather difficult