Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

New to Forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Harry, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Harry

Harry New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Knoxville, TN
    2002 Cobalt 262
    Volvo Penta 8.1 Gxi-a
    NA
    Hello. My wife and I bought a 2002 262 with the 8.1 Volvo Penta Duo Prop about 3 years ago. It has the closet instead of the bathroom. We have been really happy with the boat except we bend props (stainless steel) every danged season.
    Previously, we owned a Sea Ray with the Mercruiser dual prop out-drive and I think we may have bent a prop once in 10 years or more. It's maddening and I don't understand how this is the case. Same lake, etc. Sometimes there is debris on the water and sometimes we never see anything until we hear the impact.
    So I wonder whether Volvo uses a different grade stainless, a thinner blade, or what? Is this a common complaint?
    Thanks! Good to be among fellow Cobalt owners!
    Harry

2. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Welcome to the Forum. It is possible that the Cobalt has a deeper vee/greater deadrise than you previous Sea Ray. That could place the outdrive a bit deeper in the boat. I would suggest a new depth gauge that allows you to set a bottom alarm. It might cost you a couple of hundred bucks but its cheaper than a thousand $$$ of props.
    Shawn

3. Harry

Harry New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Knoxville, TN
    2002 Cobalt 262
    Volvo Penta 8.1 Gxi-a
    NA
    Thanks Muggsy, but I am always in deep water when this happens.

4. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Than that's just weird and I have no suggestions other tha....be more careful? You got me on this one.

5. Harry

Harry New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Knoxville, TN
    2002 Cobalt 262
    Volvo Penta 8.1 Gxi-a
    NA
    True. I spoke with a friend of mine in this area who has had similar experience. I'll absolutely be most careful. Thanks though.