Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

I bought a very nice 1999 Cobalt 232.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Steve Siggins, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Steve Siggins

Steve Siggins Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Argyle, TX
    White with Blue Stripes
    7.4 330 HP Volvo Penta
    4X4 Chevy Avalanche
    Hello, Boat in the Water.jpg fellow boaters. My name is Steve. I purchased a very clean and nice 1999 Cobalt 232. Unfortunately, it has been sitting in the shop for three weeks waiting for inspection on a leak coming in somewhere around the lower unit. The person that sold me the boat is very respectable and honest. He addressed the leak last year and the engine was actually pulled to replace what he described as a $10.00 seal. Once he got the boat back it was still leaking so the shop looked again and said they found the leak and repaired it. Guess they didn't fix it.
    If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!
    We have gotten to use the boat a few times before taking it in. What a beautiful boat. It was garage kept and well cared for.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  2. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Hhi Steve and welcome. You don't say whether your drive is a Merc or Volvo. That can make a difference on the advice you receive.
    Shawn

3. Steve Siggins

Steve Siggins Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Argyle, TX
    White with Blue Stripes
    7.4 330 HP Volvo Penta
    4X4 Chevy Avalanche
    It is a Volvo Drive with Bravo 3 prop system. I believe it is 8.1 liter.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Steve

4. Steve Siggins

Steve Siggins Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Argyle, TX
    White with Blue Stripes
    7.4 330 HP Volvo Penta
    4X4 Chevy Avalanche
    The service department called today and said they found the problem! Boat on Trailer.jpg They completely pull the engine to find a hole in the hull under the bilge pump plate. They said it looked like someone had put a screw in the plate and it went through the hull. the screw had backed out and left a hole big enough they could see concrete through.
    All repaired and picking it up this afternoon. Unfortunately, it is raining today so no lake today. Good news we really need the rain.
    I also learned the engine is a 7.4 liter, not the 8.1 I stated earlier. Guess I got confused. Easy to do at 68 yrs. old.

5. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Cool. Glad you got it fixed. As for the rain, you can as much of ours as you want. I'm just north of New Orleans and it been cloudy and raining here for the last week+. Hopefully getting better tomorrow.
    Shawn