Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Gear change cable

Discussion in 'Engines, Drives, Props, etc.' started by Craig Birchfield, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Craig Birchfield

Craig Birchfield New Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Waxhaw, NC
    2004 220
    5.0 V8
    2014 Chevy Truck
    I am a new 220 owner, cable linkage to change gear F, N, R corroded and broke, need to replace. where do I source and get replacement instructions.

2. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Wow Craig. I'm really sorry I missed this. You will need to know the length which you should be able to get from Cobalt or any dealer. Depending on how your boat was rigged it might be easy or it might be hard. What I have typically done in the past is disconnect both ends end attach one end of the old cable to one end of the new cable with tape, wire or wire ties. With a helper feeding and you pulling, us the old cable to pull the new one through. Reconnect.

If you look on YouTube there is probable videos on doing this task.

Shawn

Walt P likes this.
  3. Craig Birchfield

Craig Birchfield New Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Waxhaw, NC
    2004 220
    5.0 V8
    2014 Chevy Truck
    Yep, found item # on cable jacket, ordered from local dealer, will learn-thru install opportunity later this week.

I need to purchase a boat cover for trailer storage, any suggestions?

Also need to replace many upholstered components, is there a source for ready-made

4. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Craig, there are a number of sources for a cover. One I have personal experience with was a Westland cover ordered through iBoats.com. I ordered the "custom" cover which I heavy sunbrella, cut to fit my 262. It fits better than my factory cover. They had a sale around Labor Day, so it was an additional 10% off the sale price of 54% off. Covers go on sale a few times a year.

As far as the upholstered components, you will need to seek out a local shop to repair. The only way you can get drop ins if someone is parting out another 220 of the same build range.

Good luck!