Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

CM23 Restoration

Discussion in 'Customizations' started by Muggsy, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Man....there is still so much to do but I have been continuing to chip away.

After my friend went back to Cal we were at a place where the motor fires up, gauges all work and there is power to the new switch panels. We tested the outputs but did not wire anything permanently. I needed to get the new carpet on the inside hull-sides so I could tuck the wire harness up under the gunnels. Before I could do that I needed to get the very old adhesive off first and we all know how much fun that is. So armed with my angle grinder and a wire cup brush I suited up and attacked. As expected it was really messy but it actually came off pretty easily. Here is both sides ready to put on the new....
    port b4 carpet.JPG

stb b4 carpet.JPG

The biggest problem with installing the new carpet was the temps. The adhesive is supposed to be in an environment over 60 degrees and it has been so cold here in the south I couldn't get it done. But late last week it finally started warming up enough to get after it. Below is after installation....

port new carpet.JPG

stb new carpet.JPG

As of a couple of days ago I got the steering cable and all of the wiring up under the gunnel. I have been going back through the wiring and cutting out, and replacing, 32 year-old corroded connectors. From the new switch panels the blowers, bilge pumps, horn, GPS and courtesy lights are all functional.

I've recently made a decision to reupholster the cockpit seats and side panels. This was a hard decision as Cobalt has always had such nice interiors in their boats. As I have said, this project is not a restoration but more of a Resto-modification with much being updated. As much as I like it I'm growing a bit weary of the Cobalt tuck-n-roll look from the 80s. It's classy but I feel it dates the boat. Here is what it looked like originally....

00M0M_hrvilPYrNAl_1200x900.jpg

I'm still designing the new and it will still have the deep contours but it will be two-tone and a bit more modern looking. I somewhat like the look that Andrew (Keepin' It Classic) has done on his '79 19BR. I'm currently taking apart the old seats and panels for the upholsterer. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

Shawn

thunder550 likes this.
  2. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Shawn, keep doing what you are doing. The only person you have to make happy in this project is you (and maybe your wife....). I think the the work that you are doing is excellent. Keep it up! It looks great!

Walt

Muggsy likes this.
  3. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    I have been plugging a way at the Cobalt this spring. After I got the carpet on the hull inside I had the upholstery finished on the side panels then I installed them so I could finish the wiring and courtesy lighting. I'm pretty happy with the logo embroidery. I think it classes things up a bit.
    IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0747.JPG
    This week I reinstalled the wet bar and started putting the helm cabinet back in....
    IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0811.JPG A month or so ago I also rebuilt and refinished the teak swim platform. This was in pretty rough shape but I think it came out pretty good....
    IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0719.JPG
    Put the fuel tank in this afternoon and tomorrow morning I will put 10-15 gallons of gas in it and start the motor. It's been a few months since it ran but it should be good. The swim platform will go on Wednesday afternoon and on late Thursday I will have all of the seats back from the upholstery shop. They will go in Saturday and Sunday.

I'm starting to think I might actually finish it.
    Shawn

[​IMG]

4. Keepin' It Classic

Keepin' It Classic Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Emporia, KS
    1979 Cobalt 19BR
    Volvo Penta 7.4 EFI/DuoProp
    2012 Ford F-150 w/3.5 EcoBoost
    Holy smokes Shawn! Catching up on some time away from the marine state of mind.
    This this is looking incredible!!! I love those new side panels ! I will. E doing something similar in mine.
    I love it! Be done by the 2019 Cobalt Regatta on Table Rock Missouri???

5. Walt P

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Shawn, they say that patience is a virture. Your virtue is paying off. The work looks awesome. You should be proud of the work you are doing. We will be looking forward to images of it when you splash it!

6. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Well the launch went OK, the trailer needs some attention. Knew that was coming though.... The motor ran great. Good oil pressure and temp. Fuel gauge still not working and the depth gauge is doing weird stuff....all minor items I think. The biggest problem is the Merc power steering system has a problem. The boat wants to turn to port....hard if I let go of the wheel and she lists to port while on plane so the power steering is not compensating for prop torque I think. And while cruising at idle and I turn the wheel I feel a jerky feedback in the wheel and the whole boat. The pump reservoir was at the proper level. I need to do some research.

Here is a pic in the slip she'll be in for a few days while I work on the trailer.
    IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0845.JPG

7. Walt P

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    If it's not one thing, it's another. All the work looks really good. I know you'll get the minor things checked off quickly.

8. Steve Siggins

Steve Siggins Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Argyle, TX
    White with Blue Stripes
    7.4 330 HP Volvo Penta
    4X4 Chevy Avalanche
    Wow, what a cool story and a beautiful boat. Nice job!

9. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Thank you Steve. I see my last post on this was 2 years ago. Unfortunately the interest on this Forum waned and many of us moved over to cobaltchat.com. I preferred this forum over the other but it just didn't seem to hold interest. On the other forum I continued this saga. If you go there search for posts from me as nolaboater99.

As time went on I had to do some engine work (valve guides, new cam and lifters, starter, ring gear on the flywheel) to keep things going. But we found out that I was spending more time working on things than actually using it so 3 weeks ago I made the really hard decision to sell the boat. I was shocked that it sold in 12 hours to great family that will be continuing what I started and keeping it in their family for years....they say. She was a very unique boat and becoming more rare daily. There were only 84 CM23s made from "83-'85 and I don't think the are more than a dozen left. I personally only know of 4.

Again, thank you. I really do miss her but at 70 years old I need a different kind of boat.
    Shawn

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  10. Steve Siggins

Steve Siggins Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Argyle, TX
    White with Blue Stripes
    7.4 330 HP Volvo Penta
    4X4 Chevy Avalanche
    Thank you, I will check out Cobalt Chat. I'm 68 but have an 11-year-old granddaughter that lives with us so we bought the boat so she could enjoy it. It's a lot of work, but she is worth every minute of it.