Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Check Engine Alarm on new CS22

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Robert D, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Robert D

Robert D New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    2018 CS22
    Volvo Penta 240HP
    2010 F150
    I'm about to take delivery on our new Cobalt. I've taken it out on the lake twice with my salesperson and both times, the check engine alarm goes off repeatedly. All systems seem to be fine. The salesperson, who is new to the biz, says his service guys say it's probably some kind of "break-in period thing" and it will probably go away after a few hours. I don't buy it. If systems are fine, it must be a faulty sensor. Why would Cobalt design something like this? Has anyone encountered this?

2. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    That doesn't sound right to me either. Tell the Sales Guy you'll take delivery and give them your money when the alarm stops sounding.

When you do get the boat I want to see a picture of it and you tied up at the Tides Tavern.
    Shawn

3. Robert D

Robert D New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    2018 CS22
    Volvo Penta 240HP
    2010 F150
    Thanks! As I suspected, It was definitely not normal. The service manager is getting to the bottom of it now. I'll have that pic for you next weekend.

4. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Thanks. I grew up in Seattle and boated out of Des Moines. Trips The Tides were our normal destination. That was more than 40 years ago.
    Shawn

5. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    I have been in sales my whole career, and it is clear this was a made up b/s answer. He should have said "This is a new boat and should not have any errors. Let me get the service manager on it ASAP so you don't lose any time on the water". Stuff like that ticks me off.

Robert D and Muggsy like this.