Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Buying a 1997 252 Bow Rider and need advice

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Darin Grimsley, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Darin Grimsley

Darin Grimsley New Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Kansas
    1997 252
    Volvo Penta 7.4 Gi
    To Small
    Hello, I'm new and this is my first post. My wife and I have decided to get back into boating after a long break (10yrs). I found this boat at Grand Lake and it's pristine. A 65 yr old man has it and he's wanting a tritoon. The boat has 510 hrs on the 7.4 vp w/duo prop outdrive. Captains call with sport trim.. it is all original and comes with the original Hertige trailer. Gotta give 20k for the package which seems pretty good. Just wondering if anyone has this model? If so pros and cons? Any fatal flaws? I have always wanted a cobalt and this is probably coming home with me this weekend. Thanks in advance for any comments...Regards DG

2. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Welcome to the forum. Boy, I have not owned that model so really can't be much help. I know you said you were buying it but you really should get a professional survey done on the boat before purchase. It's really worth the money and you will know for sure what you are getting.
    Shawn

3. Darin Grimsley

Darin Grimsley New Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Kansas
    1997 252
    Volvo Penta 7.4 Gi
    To Small
    Thanks Muggsy, the deal fell thru on the 252 so I'm back on the hunt. Found a 2001 262 with the 8.1 GSI that has 650hrs on it. It's nice but have only seen pics. He's asking 27000 which seems a little high but I will just have to see. Thanks Darin

4. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    I've made a lot of big purchases over the years and when ever I didn't get a deal I wanted I always ended up with a better deal. Good luck with the search and seriously....be sure and have the boat surveyed by a professional marine surveyor. You aren't buying a $2500 Bayliner, you're look to spend $27,000+/- of your hard earned ducats. Make sure you know what you are getting into prior to closing the deal. And if a seller won't accept an offer subject to a survey....walk away, fast. He is hiding something.

Enjoy the search and good luck.
    Shawn

5. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Hey Darin, good luck on your search. 2000-2006 262's have held value due to it being yatch certified and one of the better hulls Cobalt built. I have recently seen that version of 262 go for $25-40k based on options and hours in the Eastern OK/southern MO/Northern Ark. Agree with Shawn, that a survey is well worth the money.