Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Adding Shore Power - 282

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by RGT97, Aug 3, 2017.

1. RGT97

RGT97 New Member Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Maryland - Herring Bay
    2004 282
    Twin V-P 5.0, 270HP, DP-SM drives
    i have a 2004 282 and am looking to add a 30A shore power outlet. It has a battery charger that receives a 15A input from a 30A cord through a 30A male/15A female adapter. The boat has a small switch panel on the dash, but not a dedicated breaker panel that I've had on larger boats.

I'm thinking of adding a 30A smart plug receptacle, feeding into a GI and then a 120VAC panel (and pulling the power for the existing DC switches back to that panel). Has anyone done something similar and where did you place your breaker panel? I'm thinking of placing it on the bulkhead in the head. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  2. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts too. This could be helpful to others too.

3. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    I have a small breaker panel with main breaker, 3 or 4 sub-breakers and a meter that I would be willing to sell. I bought it to install on another boat and didn't use it. It's all pre-wired. All you would have to do is mount it, connect the wires from your 30 amp shore power inlet and connect outputs.

I'll locate it in the garage tomorrow and take a couple of pics of it and post it here. I'll figure out a price as well. Check tomorrow.

Shawn

Walt P likes this.
  4. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    RGT I found the panel. My 52' MY that I bought a few years back did not have air conditioning. I was going to install it and I was going to need a 2nd 30 amp panel dedicated to the AC unit. I found this on eBay and bought it for the task. I sold that boat before I ever put the AC in. IMG_0399[1].JPG IMG_0400[1].JPG IMG_0401[1].JPG

The Main Breaker is rated at 30 amp. The breakers labeled Microwave, Refrigerator and Battery Charger are rated, 15 amp, 7.5 amp and 10 amp respectively. It measures 9 5/8" wide and 3" high. Its prewired and I think it's new.

For what you are describing you want to do I think this would work perfectly for you. Give me $50 and pay the shipping and it's yours.

Let me know. I'll give you first shot at it and if you or someone else doesn't want it it's going on eBay for $100. However, if you buy and install it we want pictures.

Shawn

Walt P likes this.